Home Page


Swanage Primary's Local Offer and further information

For further details, please follow the link below

Special Educational Needs Information
At Swanage Primary School we strive to support all children to enable them to achieve at school.
In order to do this many steps are taken to support them through their learning. 
Quality teaching is vital; however for some children there are occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them achieve their targets.

Roles & Responsibilities of the special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).  
Our SENCO is responsible for the Special Educational Needs Policy and co-ordinating specific provision to support individual children with SEN. We work closely with staff to monitor the pupil’s progress and plan further interventions where progress is slower than expected. We regularly have contact with a wide range of external agencies that are able to give more specialised advice. 
If you have any concerns regarding SEN matters do not hesitate to contact us. 

There are many SEN terms that are abbreviated which can lead to confusion (even for us!).
Below is a glossary of the most used SEN terms.

 AAP          Attendance Advisory Practitioner
ADD           Attention Deficit Disorder
ADHD        Attention Deficit & Hyperactivity Disorder
ASD           Autistic Spectrum Disorder
BESD        Behavioural Emotional & Social Difficulties
CAF           Common Assessment Framework
CAMHS     Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service
COP          Code of Practice
CP             Child Protection
DCD          Developmental Co-ordination Disorder
EAL           English as an Additional Language
EHC          Education Health Care Plan (previously known as a Statement of SEN)
ELSA         Emotional Literacy Support Assistant
EP             Educational Psychologist
FSM          Free School Meals
HI              Hearing Impairment
IEP            Individual Education Plan (now known as provision map)
KS             Key Stage
LAC           Looked After Child
LA              Local Authority
MLD           Moderate Learning Difficulty
NC             National Curriculum
OT             Occupational Therapist
PSP           Pastoral Support Programme
SaLT          Speech & Language Therapy
SEN           Special Educational Needs
SEND        Special Educational Needs & Disability
SENCO     Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator 
SpLD         Specific Learning Difficulty
VI               Visual Impairment

Current SEN Updates:
What is Pupil Premium?

The Pupil Premium was introduced in April 2011 and is allocated to schools to work with pupils who have been registered for free school meals at any point in the last six years (known as ‘Ever 6 FSM’). Schools also receive funding for children who have been looked after continuously for more than six months, and children of service personnel.
Why has it been introduced?
The Government believes that the Pupil Premium, which is additional to main school funding, is the best way to ‘close the gap’ between children eligible for free school meals (FSM) and their peers by ensuring that funding to tackle disadvantage reaches the pupils who need it most.
Who decides on how the money is spent?
In most cases the Pupil Premium is paid direct to schools, allocated to them for every pupil who receives free school meals. Schools decide how to use the funding, as they are best placed to assess what their pupils need.
How are schools accountable for the spending of Pupil Premium?
They are held accountable for the decisions they make through:
-  performance tables which show the performance of disadvantaged pupils compared with their peers.
- the new Ofsted inspection framework, under which inspectors focus on the attainment of pupil groups, in particular those who attract the Pupil Premium. 

Children and Families Bill 2013 
The Children and Families Bill aims to improve services for vulnerable children and support strong families. It underpins wider reforms to ensure that all children and young people can succeed, no matter what their background. The Bill will reform the systems for adoption, looked after children, family justice and special educational needs.   The system for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN), including those who are disabled, is changing, so that services consistently support the best outcomes for them. The Bill will extend the SEN system from birth to 25, giving children, young people and their parents/carers greater control and choice in decisions and ensuring needs are properly met.
It takes forward the reform programme by: 
- replacing statements and learning difficulty assessments with a new birth- to-25 Education, Health and Care Plan, extending rights and protections to young people in further education and training and offering families personal budgets so that they have more control over the support they need; 
-  improving cooperation between all the services that support children and their families and particularly requiring local authorities and health authorities to work together;
- requiring local authorities to involve children, young people and parents in reviewing and developing provision for those with special educational needs and to publish a ‘local offer’ of support.  

What is the Local Offer?
The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper (March 2011) as a local offer of all services available to support disabled children and children with SEN and their families. This easy to understand information will set out what is normally available in schools to help children with lower-level SEN as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.

What will it do?
It will provide parents/carers with information about how to access services in their area, and what they can expect from those services. With regard to Education, it will let parents/ carers and young people know how schools will support them, and what they can expect across the local settings.  Local Offers for individual schools are published on their school website, and collectively through Dorset County Council, allowing parents to make informed choices.

Please click above to see Swanage Primary  School’s Local Offer:
1: How does Swanage Primary School know if children need extra help?  
We know when pupils need help if:
- concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child
-  limited progress is being made
-  there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress              

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs? 
- The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns
-  Thereafter, if you have concerns then contact  Mrs Hill who is our SENCO.

2. How will I know how Swanage Primary School supports my child?  
Each pupil’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher. It will be matched to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class.

If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy & literacy skills etc then the pupil will be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need. The intervention will be regularly reviewed by all involved to see how effective it has been, and plan for next steps.

These interventions will be recorded on the class provision map (this is a record of the interventions, timings, and impact of the intervention). If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENCO.
Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the Headteacher to discuss the progress of the pupils in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned.

Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency such as the Special Educational Needs Support Service (SENSS), or the Paediatrician etc. A referral will be made, with your consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers.

The Governors of Swanage Primary School are responsible for entrusting a named person, currently Hannah Etherington,  to monitor Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures.  In a support and challenge role the Governors ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treats all children and staff in an equitable way.  They monitor and review the accessibility plan and all other statutory policies as defined by the DfE. 

3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs? 
When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be planned carefully by the class teacher to met their needs and make sure they can access the curriculum more easily. Teaching Assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.

If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given a Provision Map, highlighting the support to be given. Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher on an on-going basis, and termly by the SENCO. Provision Maps will be discussed with parents at Parents’ Evenings and a copy given to them.
If appropriate, specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, weighted blankets, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors. 

4. How will I know how my child is doing? 
You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents’ Evenings.
We have an ‘open door policy’: Your child’s class teacher will be available at the end of each day if you wish to raise a concern. Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENCO by mutual convenience.

 How will you help me to support my child’s learning? 
The class teacher may suggest ways of how you can support your child. Mrs Hill may meet with you to discuss how to support your child with particular strategies. If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and programmes of study are provided that can be used at home.

5. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being? 
The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include: Trained Emotional Literacy Support Assistants (ELSAs) who offer individual pastoral support to children in a nurturing environment, outside of the classroom.
Members of staff such as the class teacher, SENCO, Key Stage Leaders and class TAs  are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Children are made aware of who to approach in school if they have any concerns about bullying, through posters and work in classes. Resources and a variety of clubs are available for those who find lunchtimes a challenge.

Pupils with medical needs.
If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support form the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil. Staff receive epipen training delivered by the school nurse. Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member. Medicines should be left with Mrs Scott in the office, where they can be stored safely. Key members of staff have Paediatric First Aid training, and all Dining Room Assistants and teaching assistants receive Basic First Aid training.

6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?               
At times it may be necessary to receive more specialised expertise from outside agencies. The agencies used by the school include: SENSS (Special Educational Need Support Service),  the Locality Team (Social Care), Educational Psychologist, CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service),  DCFCT (Dorset Children and Families Counselling Trust, AAP  (Attendance Manager previously known as Educational Welfare Officers), SaLT Speech and Language Therapy Services, OT (Occupational Therapist – based at Poole Hospital), Hearing Support Service, School Nurse.
An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school. She would normally only work directly with pupils who needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them. This involvement is generally planned following liaison between the SENCO and class teacher, and where appropriate, other professionals. In order to understand the pupil’s educational needs better, the psychologist will generally observe the pupil in their classroom environment, then work with them individually to make assessments. The EP would then generally meet with the parent and give feedback after the assessment has been completed. He/she will offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.

7. What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?   
All members of staff receive training on the SEN Code of Practice, and how best to support pupils within their classes. Additionally, different members of staff have received training related to aspects of SEND, according to their role, or the needs of the children they are working with. These have included sessions on:
How to support pupils on the autistic spectrum.
How to support pupils with social and emotional needs.
How to support pupils with speech and language difficulties.
How to support pupils with physical and co-ordination needs. 

8. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?              
Activities and school trips are available to all.  Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate. However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity. 

9. How accessible is the school environment?              
As a school we are more than happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include:
- Ramps into school to make the building accessible to all.
- Toilets adapted for disabled users.
- Wide doors to access building from outside.
Our school site, being steeply sloping, does still present a challenge for accessibility to all areas.

10. How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Swanage Primary School or transferring to a new school?              
Many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible. These include:
- Discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.  
- All pupils attend a Transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher, or a day in their new school.
- Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school or class, and appropriate resources for transition are prepared as needed (e.g. photo books, ‘What to expect’ resources).
- Senior leaders or our SENCO are very happy to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school to discuss individual needs.
- Secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school, and attending transition days.
- Mrs Hill liaises with the SENCOs from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEN pupils.
- Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with Mrs Maltby,  the parents/carers and where appropriate the pupil.

11. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?
The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on an individual’s needs. The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year.
Resources may include deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances.  

12. How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?
These decisions are made in consultation with class teacher and Senior Leadership Team. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress, discussion between class teacher and SENCO and as a result of assessments by outside agencies.
During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s lack of progress or well-being then other interventions will be arranged.  

13. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?              
All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:
- discussions with the class teacher
- during parents evenings
- during discussions with Mrs Hill or other professionals.
Parents are encouraged to comment on their child’s Provision Map with possible suggestions that could be incorporated.  

14. Who can I contact for further information?              
If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or wish to raise questions regarding your child’s schooling please contact Mrs Hill to arrange a meeting.  I hope these have answered any queries you may have but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have further questions.


Supporting Children at school with medical conditions

Disability: what the law says

What should a school do if a pupil has a disabilty?